[PLUG] rpm spec for eclipse

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 10 14:40:03 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003, Wil Cooley wrote:

> I take it then you're actually running Eclipse... Lots of people are
> raving about it, but I started to look at it and it seemed to be 100+ MB
> download and there seemed to be some other stuff I wasn't ready to deal
> with (maybe the lack of a spec file was one of them).  So is it really
> good?  How is it for Perl and Python development?  Can you give us a 3
> minute report on it?

Wil,

  I'm just beginning to use it for java development of a very large project.
It came very highly recommended to me. It is large (rather slow on my
PII/333 MHz system) but it gets things done. I was told by Nathan Meyers
(some of you may remember him) that Eclipse was what took him away from vi
(or was it emacs?) to a GUI tool for writing all his java code. As far as
I'm concerned, there's no higher praise.

  If you want to go one step further, download the community (i.e., free)
edition of Posidon-for-UML. It's a terrific UML tool and will output code in
several languages. I know it does java and the java fits right in to
Eclipse.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)