[PLUG] Possible worm, the attachment is the text source listing of the email in question.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Sep 10 21:02:02 UTC 2003

Michael C. Robinson wrote:

>I think it's html code that is intended to infect Windows 2000.
>I'd be very careful about opening it on anything valuable.  Is
>this a real worm or a nasty hoax?  It says in the message that
>your hard drive and motherboard will be destroyed.  It was
>encountered under outlook which has that preview window.  Is
>previewing a message equivalent to opening it?

It's a hoax: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/got.you.hoax.html

Previewing isn't "exactly" the same as opening.

There are some virii that run on preview, and there are some that run on
opening. Still others, you have to open an attachment to actually
activate the virus.

--
Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

Random thought #5 (Collect all 20)
"Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right." - Mohandas K. Ghandi