[PLUG] inetd

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Wed Sep 10 23:03:02 UTC 2003

> You don't need them if you don't need to launch daemons on
> demand. I almost never run them on workstations and I try
> to avoid using them on servers.
>
> Ed

How is a daemon running all the time better than inetd or xinetd
launching a daemon on demand?  Wouldn't it make sense to have inetd
listen for services you offer when requests are very low and then
switch to a daemon when requests go up?  Potentially I see
lightening up the number of daemons through inetd and xinetd
which could improve performance.  The other thing is, doesn't
xinetd give a wrapper for controlling who can access a service
and at what rate which is more standard and easier to understand
than each individual daemon that can be used instead?

     --  Michael