[PLUG] inetd

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Fri Sep 12 10:32:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 21:46, Michael C. Robinson wrote:

> What's an easy way to find out if xinetd is what's launching some
> daemon?

Look at the xinetd configuration files. If you want
to be certain that xinetd launched a currently running
daemon, I guess you could use ps and look at the parent
PID, though I've not done this yet.

> Doesn't a lot of stuff depend on it in a number of Linux
> distributions?

No

> What's the rationale for supporting daemons on
> demand other than saving memory?

Someone replied to this earlier - it's easier to develop
daemons that are launched by inetd/xinetd. Also, some
people might find the inetd/xinetd access controls easier
than learning how to configure their firewall or DNS.

> Why does one need bernstein's
> tools if there's no for need xinetd?

I generally don't need to launch daemons on demand so I
don't normally use inetd, xinetd, or Bernstein's tools.
However, if i do need to launch daemons in demand I
prefer the Bernstein stuff.

> Does qmail need the daemons on demand feature?

No

> On a Redhat system, 7.x on up, isn't xinetd
> connected to a number of packages?

I don't know about Red Hat 9, but with earlier versions,
the only thing enabled is FAM. There are numerous configuration
files in /etc/xinetd.d but most of those files have the
"disable=yes" statement, so they're not active.

> One problem with rpm is that erase doesn't always destroys
> the files that go with a package.  So short of doing an
> rpm -ql before uninstalling a package, one may not know
> what files are getting left behind.  I'm wondering if I
> can and should remove xinetd.

Dunno. I don't usually do rpm.

Ed