[PLUG] the plight of Beaverton Library

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 13 19:00:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Phil Tomson wrote:

> This got me to thinking: This is a perfect 'poster project' for open
> source.  Basically, all they've got to do is web browsing and lookup in
> their card catalog - I doubt those machines were even running office, but
> even if they were OpenOffice could be used.  So the question is, how do we
> get a group of Open Source folks together to propose the Linux (or *BSD)
> solution?  One of our big selling points right now for these library folks
> is that they'll be much less vulnerable to viruses... the price is right
> too, but right now that's probably a secondary issue for them.

Phil,

  Regardless of Web browsing, how is the card catalog run? It used to be
'dyna' and I could telnet to it from home. That suggests it's running on a
non-Microsoft host somewhere central. If so, linux and the Web browser of
your choice(s) would work just fine. OTOH, if it's a custom app running
locally then it may work only with Microsoft.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/