[PLUG] the plight of Beaverton Library

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Sun Sep 14 09:57:01 UTC 2003

>   Regardless of Web browsing, how is the card catalog run? It used to be
> 'dyna' and I could telnet to it from home. That suggests it's running on a
> non-Microsoft host somewhere central. If so, linux and the Web browser of
> your choice(s) would work just fine. OTOH, if it's a custom app running
> locally then it may work only with Microsoft.
>
> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

For their card catalog is there any reason for them to not use a
proprietary protocol so as to be hardened against crackers?  The
other option is VPN, there's a place the OSS can community can
help.  Is it necessary really to replace Windows entirely or
can Linux be introducted at the just the network routing/network
firewall layers to raise the likelihood of it's acceptance?
Perhaps vmware should be introduced on the workstations.

     --  Michael