[PLUG] the plight of Beaverton Library

Jeff Schwaber freyley at gmx.net
Sun Sep 14 11:55:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 11:34, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
>
> > Perhaps vmware should be introduced on the workstations.
>
>   Money. Defeats the purpose.
>
>   Suggested steps:
>
>   1) Determine if they're interested in help and a solution.
>
>   2) Learn what runs on those workstations -- as applications.
>
>   3) Figure out what could be done and what advantages the library gains
> from implementing change.

They're almost certainly using a networked application, as it would make
no sense to have the card catalog on each machine. If they are using the
dyna system, which seems likely, they just need a web browser and a
telnet client, easily offered by Linux. If they're using something else,
it's probably still offered by the web.

Which I found out pretty easily by looking for beaverton library oregon
on the web and coming up with this page:

http://www.wilinet.wccls.lib.or.us/polaris/default.asp

Looks like a web browser would probably be enough.

Jeff