[PLUG] Verisign hijacks DNS

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Sep 15 20:53:01 UTC 2003

Doubtless you've heard of this by now. (see Slashdot)

Here are my fave quotes from news.admin.net-abuse.email:

"The incompetent amoral liars at Verisign have made it impossible to
reject mail from .net and .com addresses whose domain parts do not
exist, by setting up wildcard DNS on the gtld-server.net machines"

"Verisign has destroyed the root domain hierarchy! Make up any bloody domain
name, and what do you get? The domain exists, the response mail adddress is
nstld.verisign-grs.com, the authoritative nameserver is a.gtld-servers.net

And it advertises their services. Holy crap."

"Yes, that's right.  It doesn't matter what a client says, Verithief's
"stub" mail server says 220, 250, 250, 550, 250, 221-close.

This is presumably the SMTP equivalent of flipping one's finger over
one's lip and going "buh buh buh".

Thank goodness we have the spineless, useless ICANN overseeing these
matters....I feel so much better now...
--
Carla Schroder