[PLUG] LaTeX in the real world

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 16 12:49:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Alex Daniloff wrote:

> I've heard from one developer, that LaTeX may die in a nearest future,
> when everybody switches to XML/XSLT/Schema/SAX/DOM standards. I was
> considering using LaTeX while I was developing company's documentation
> system, but XML/SAX/Perl approach bound to MySQL worked the best.

Alex,

  If you listen to people in the computer industry you'll get the answer you
received. Yes, for computer documentation, XML, DocBook and the like are a
great way to go. However, for _typeset_ output there's nothing like TeX and
the LaTeX macros.

  One-size-fits-all solutions don't. You need to consider the vested
interests of the solution promoter/provider as well as your intended use
before making a decision.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)