[PLUG] Replacement for bind

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Tue Sep 16 21:39:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 21:12, Steve Beattie wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 04:59:18PM -0700, Russ Johnson wrote:
> > I'm looking at replacing bind. I looked at tinydns, but it won't do zone
> > transfers, and I need that.
> >
> > I host two domains myself, and I have secondary server duties for about
> > 8 other domains.
> >
> > Is there something besides bind that does this?
>
> Giving a cursory glance to Rick Moen's list of free software bind
> replacements <http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/dns-servers>,
> it appears that at a minimum MaraDNS does this.

This is a nice comprehensive list that he's put together.
Just note that Rick is biased against tinydns. You can see
this for yourself on the above referenced web page. He
placed djbdns in the Proprietary category for two reasons.
He doesn't like the fact that Bernstein doesn't use the GPL.
It seems that he thinks that anything that is not GPL'ed is
proprietary software.

He also believes that tinydns is not RFC-compliant because it
doesn't support BIND-like zone transfers - and anything that
is not RFC-compliant shouldn't be used. I disagree strongly
with this assertion but I've failed to convince him otherwise.

Ed