[PLUG] Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop problem

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed Sep 17 16:12:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 12:04, Jeff Schwaber wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 10:18, Alex Daniloff wrote:
> > Hello Linux folkz,
> > Just tried to configure Xserver for Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop.
> > Xserver can't find modes for its graphic chipset i845 using driver
> > i810. So now it runs in VESA mode with ugly 680x480 resolution.
> > Could somebody please give me a hint if this laptop's
> > graphic chipset is supported in Linux at all.
> > How can I fix this issue.

The only way I could get an i845 to display an x-server is to use
framebuffer in the kernel and the fbdev driver in xfree86-4.  At least
it will do a better resolution than 680x480.

If you're using a stock kernel, it may already be compiled in.  I also
had to change color depth to 8 the first time I got it to start
successfully.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree