[PLUG] SMART Client

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Thu Sep 18 23:16:01 UTC 2003

> Install the kernel-utils RPM.  It contains smartctl, smartd, and other
> handy utilities.

So, I've tried to find some good information on how to run the SMART tools but only
find the command line docs.  They do not tell me how to read the output and where
the log files are stored. It appears on my newer drive the error logs are stored
internal to the HD.  Is this true?  Is there a log file for smartctl commands that
happen?

It also appears that the smartmontools project are better tools.  Does anyone know
about these?  Should I install those?  I don't see any way to test the drive while
there are mounted partitions.  Or so it seems.  I may be confused here just want
some good pointers if someone knows.

Thanks,

Josh