[PLUG] Strange hard drive capacity 2048GB !?

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Mon Sep 22 13:55:02 UTC 2003

Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc> wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 00:00, Steve Bonds wrote:
>
> > Low-level formatting is very seldom needed.
>
> The only time I've had to do it is when we bought a box of IBM drives
> from eBay that were formatted with 520 byte blocks, apparently pulled
> from an AS/400 or S/390 or some larger DASD installation than I've ever
> seen.

I had something somewhat similar happen with an Ultra 60 system.  It was a
refurbished machine, and the vendor had installed a 36GB IBM drive.
When I started installing Solaris 8, the drive was showing up as
~9GB.  It turns out that the drive had some sort of EDS disk type written
to the disk label.  Once I changed the type back to IBM and rewrote
the disk label, everything was back to normal.

galen