[PLUG] SMART Client (SCSI drives)

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Mon Sep 22 16:16:01 UTC 2003

One of the things I've noticed with "smartctl" is its limited support for
SCSI drives.  Larry mentioned in his presentation (a great one, BTW) that
most SCSI drives have additional diagnostics above and beyond SMART.
Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any information about standardized
diagnostics on SCSI drives aside from SMART.

Does anyone on the list (maybe even Larry) have suggestions on ways of
monitoring SCSI drives for impending failure?  Why is the SCSI support for
smartctl so limited?  Is this a limitation in the SMART implementaion for
SCSI drives, or just lack of coding within the smartctl application?

Pointers to more information are appreciated, particularly since smartctl
seems to be abandoned and poorly documented.  (Code is from Sep 2000, with
minor updates made Sep 2001. http://sourceforge.net/projects/smartsuite/)

  -- Steve