[PLUG] Viewing messages in pine & filtering spam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 24 06:37:02 UTC 2003

  This question is to help me understand what's going on, and why my blank
message postfix regex works some times but not all the time.

  In /etc/postfix/body_checks I have the regex:
                             /^ $/	reject ...

I discovered that I needed the space between the line beginning and line
ending metacharacters or it did not work at all. Now, with the above, many
of the (apparent) spam/virus messages that come in with no body content are
rejected before they get in the door. However, some do end up in my inbox.

  When viewd in pine they appear no different: nothing's in the body.
Obviously, there are differences; perhaps more than a single space or a
non-printing/displaying character. I've not yet figured out how to
generalize the above regex without rejecting messages where a line has any
characters in it (e.g., reject only if there's noting but white space and no
characters at all in the message body).

  As I wrote above, this is more to satisfy my curiosity and to further my
understanding of what's going on so it's not a critical issue.

Many thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)