[PLUG] SATA Drives?

Bradford Siemssen brad at strong-box.net
Thu Sep 25 06:49:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 02:02 PM, Wil Cooley wrote:

> After having had my prejudices against IDE drives confirmed by Larry
> and
> the papers Galen posted, I'm wondering where SATA drives fall.  I'm
> seeing them offered in a lot of higher-end systems and with RAID
> controllers and they're only slightly less expensive than SCSI.  I
> don't
> know much about them, other than they're somehow ATA interfaces adapted
> to a serial bus, like SSA or FCAL.  Are they being designed and
> manufactured as Enterprise Storage devices, or Personal Storage?  Are
> they so expensive just because they're still new?

It depends.

Maxtor, and Seagate have gone the low price road. Their drives are
their better consumer grade drives (7200RPM 8MB Cache) repackaged to
use SATA. Internally, many of their drives are really, old parallel IDE
electronics, that have a SATA to PATA (Parallel ATA, or old IDE)
converter added. Drives that use the SATA to PATA route will not be
able to take advantage of the full 150MBps data rate that SATA allows,
but the drives were typically, Ultra ATA 133, so they do get close.

Future iterations of drives from Seagate and Maxtor will eventually
take better advantage of SATA and should get to where they can send the
full 150MBps. The current price premium on SATA versus PATA is ~$30.

So for Seagate and Maxtor, SATA will filter from the top of the
consumer market to down like all Ultra ATA 133, and Ultra ATA 100
before it.

Western Digital is different. Initially, Western Digital decided to use
SATA as an enterprise type of drive. The first Western Digital SATA
drive was a 10K RPM ~36GB drive that costs almost as much as similar
SCSI drives. I've recently seen advertisements for Western Digital 80GB
drives with 8MB cache, for about $30 more than the PATA version of a
similar drive. Which looks like more of a simple repackaging of current
IDE offerings. So who knows.

It seems that SATA is going to be for both high and low end drives.

What I think will be the biggest pain for dealing with SATA is that
there is only one drive per IDE channel. While this does mean no more
dealing with master/slave/cable select, it also means motherboard
manufacturers will need to put more channels on. The standard two
channels just isn't going to cut it. Until that happens PCI SATA card
makers will be happy.

All this to get rid of those short fat IDE ribbon cables....sigh...

  Cheers,
Brad

Brad Siemssen
Strongbox Network Services
www.strongboxnetworks.com
brad at strongboxnetworks.com
503.466.1416

--
This message checked for dangerous content by MailScanner on StrongBox.