[PLUG] NO ptr record for lists.pdxlinux.org...

Michael C. Robinson michael at goose.robinson-west.com
Sun Sep 28 20:17:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 18:49, Sandy Herring wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> > I think my email address is too attractive.  Some of the stuff
> > I'm getting, let's just say it's probably targeted at the name
> > in my email address because it's a male name.
> [...]
>
> I don't think supposed gender of the username has anything to do with
> targeting. I get all kinds of crap for both sexes. Changing your username
> won't help unless you /never/ use it in a way that spammers can discern.
>
> Sandy
> --
> Sandy Herring, RHCE                        o              sandy at herring.org
> Peck of Pickled Pisces               __  o               http://herring.org/
> UNIX or Web authoring questions?  |\/ o\  o  http://herring.org/finger.html
> ->http://herring.org/techie.html  |/\__/     http://herring.org/pub-key.asc

Has the time come to use organizations that understand one's beliefs and
preferences for email filtering with the technical skill to deal with
the current abuses.  It wastes your time and frankly some of this stuff
arguably shouldn't be dealt with for too long because it's nasty.  In
this scenario, your mail server can only connect to the proxy and it's
current identity is given to the proxy so that all email routed to you
goes to the proxy for checking and the proxy handles abuse claims, etc.
Internet service providers in our country can block transmission to and
from the open proxies of foreign countries if there's an easy way to
detect these.  If these countries want to reach us, they'll close those
open proxies when they're blocked or set up acceptable exchangers.
It's hardball, but I bet it would work.

One curiosity about the junk were all getting, has anyone found an easy
way to reduce getting the same stuff twice?  A sum of the characters in
the bodies of some of these messages would be enough for a test to find
and block subsequent copies as a lot of this spam seems to be the exact
same message multiple times.

Looking on one spam list I found out some of the stuff I'm getting is
definitely spam.