[PLUG] server unresponsive random Monday mornings

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Mon Sep 29 08:46:22 UTC 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Mike De La Mater wrote:

> I've got a RH 7.1 box that goes down on apparently random Sundays,
> some time after 0400, after it runs it's nightly backups.

Take a peek at /etc/crontab. It'll look something like this:

# run-parts
01 * * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.hourly
02 4 * * * root run-parts /etc/cron.daily
22 4 * * 0 root run-parts /etc/cron.weekly
42 4 1 * * root run-parts /etc/cron.monthly

System-level cron jobs scheduled for daily, weekly, or monthly
execution will run between 4:00 and 5:00 a.m.

In particular, the /etc/cron.weekly/* scripts are launched at 4:22 on
Sunday mornings.

> By down, I mean that it's powered up but unresponsive to the outside
> world in any meaningful way. No display, no samba, no ssh, nothing I
> can verify from my remote location.

A serial console connection might be useful in that case; of course,
if /bin/login is unresponsive, you're pretty well hosed. :-)

> I'm not running any cron jobs on a weekly basis that could be
> jamming me up, where do I find out when logrotate decides to do it's
> thing?

logrotate is runs at 4:02 every morning as part of /etc/cron.daily.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com>