[PLUG] X "pauses", kernel questions

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Mon Sep 29 09:19:01 UTC 2003

Hello,
   Ever since I "upgraded" to RH9 I've been experiencing huge
multi-second pauses whenever a process has to "get going" after a period
of inactivity.  It's particularly bad when getting started up in the
mornings after being idle all night, sometimes it takes 30 seconds for
xlock to unlock and show the desktop.  I don't have a real screamer of a
machine, but it's no slowpoke either (Athlon XP 1700, 512MB ram).

   I recall reading somewhere that this behavior may be alleviated by
choosing a "better" kernel version.  Where can I find a listing of these
kernel version to version differences to help me make the choice?
Preferably something better than the changelog file, which often just
lists the fix and not what the fix actually means to an end user.

thanks,
Brent