[PLUG] X "pauses", kernel questions

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Mon Sep 29 13:27:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:08:19AM -0700, Brent Rieck wrote:
> Aaron Burt wrote:
> >Can you tell what the computer's doing during the pauses?  Is the hard
> >disk spinning up or is it thrashing about?
>
> I can't tell, my case is too quiet when it's closed, too loud when it's
> open, and I don't have a hard drive light.

Place the busness end of a screwdriver (#4 phillips works well) on the
drive before unlocking xlock and put the butt of the handle firmly
against your ear, you can almost always hear the vibrations of the
other end clearly through any background noise.

This is also great for localizing problems in general.

-Rogan