[PLUG] Firewalls (Sonicwall vs. Linux)

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Apr 2 14:16:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 11:28, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

> To those familiar with these things, what class/type of Linux box would it
> take -- if possible -- to get the same functionality as the two lower end
> Sonicwall boxes provide?

I'm gonna toot my own horn here and tell you the SnapGear units I sell
(http://nakedape.cc/products/hardware/snapgear) are comparable to the
SonicWall, but not limited to a set number of IP addresses and include
IPSEC and PPTP VPN support.  Like the SonicWalls, they include an easy
web interface for management, plus SSH and telnet access for access to
embedded versions of regular Linux/UNIX network utilities (ping,
traceroute, etc).

For DIY, a Soekris (http://www.soekris.com/) unit makes a nice firewall
if you want to use LEAF (http://leaf.sourceforge.net/) or other embedded
firewall distributions.  The Soekris units are 100-266MHz AMD i586-class
chips with 32-128MB RAM and connectors for CompactFlash, PCMCIA,
mini-PCI, 2+ NICs, etc.  I've used them to make wireless access points
and they're pretty good.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                      mailto:wcooley@nakedape.cc
                               xmpp:wcooley at jabber.nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
* Naked Ape Consulting                   http://nakedape.cc  *
* Sophos Anti-Virus Reseller       http://nakedape.cc/r/sav  *