[PLUG] anyone got a 250meg Iomega ZIP drive?

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Apr 4 18:01:02 UTC 2004

My dad has recently abruptly begun experiencing read failures on his
ATAPI Iomega ZIP 250 drive.  My first suspicion was just media
failure, but all his media started failing at once and at about the
same spot, even previously unused blank media.  Reformatting doesn't
actually even succeed well enough to test.  When I try to dd off the
drive from KNOPPIX, it seems to start failing around sector 246-248k.
Under windows 2k, the retries pretty much kill the machine.

That is starting to sound like a drive failure rather than a media
failure.  A new drive is around $60 or $100.  Before we buy one, does
someone have one we could try one of the disks in?  Alternatively, has
anyone seen one at FreeGeek's thrift store?

seniorr at aracnet.com