[PLUG] The Silent World of KNOPPIX

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 19:26:02 UTC 2004

I downloaded the Russian version of KNOPPIX last
night, and already had the English version. Anyhow, I
mentioned that the "bootable" disk wouldn't boot on my
computer (in either language version). Making a boot
floppy is easy, however, and solves that problem.

What surprised me was that, since a pleasant female
voice announced the beginning of the startup sequence,
my ac97 sound card is not supported. (I opened
Gnomemeeting, and was informed that no sound card was
detected. When I tried to set it up, it was said not
to be supported.)

Apart from the conventional distributions that have
detected the sound card automatically, there have been
three bootable, or semi-bootable (in the above sense)
ones to play pleasant MIDI music with my sound card:
SuSE, Mandrake, and Blin, the latter smaller than 200
MB. KNOPPIX has many impressive features, but until it
supports sound on my system, it is likely to remain a curiosity.

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/