[PLUG] Firewalls (Sonicwall vs. Linux)

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Mon Apr 5 23:33:02 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 09:41, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Derek Loree wrote:
>
> > What functionality do need?  The easy web setup, the VPN's, the virus
> > scanning, or the slow processor?  A list of needs would help narrow down
> > the many options.
>
> Me I've got an Asante at home.  Sonicewall will never see the inside of my
> house.  :-)  But those I work with have either heard of SonicWall, got
> recommendations for them from one of the larger support companies in the
> area, and the list goes on.  I'm just trying to make sure I can back up my
> smirk when they get bitten by the cost and licensing issues.

Gibraltar will back up your smirk, except for the cost issue (about 1000
euros if you want the web interface), however the licensing will be much
nicer, no limit to the number of interfaces or connections.  I guess my
point is, the Open Source technology is there, it is just a matter of
what you have to invest in it (time and/or money).  There are other much
less expensive options, but I haven't found any as full featured as
Gibraltar.  It is also being very actively worked on.

I still have eigenstien floppy routers running as firewalls for both
small and medium sized companies.  The hardware was free and I very
rarely have to do anything to them.  I just invested a little time (ok,
a lot of time) in figuring out how to configure them.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree