[PLUG] Simple graphics programming?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Apr 6 11:51:02 UTC 2004

>>>>> "Geoff" == Geoff Burling <llywrch at agora.rdrop.com> writes:

Geoff> Tk appears to have some life left to it: there is a Perl module that
Geoff> supports it, which makes creating dialogue boxes fairly simple under X.
Geoff> I haven't played with Perl/Tk for a couple of years, so I don't know
Geoff> the current state of its development. (Maybe Randal or another of the
Geoff> Perl gurus out there might want to offer his opinion on this matter.)

Perl-Tk is being actively developed... in fact, there's just been
another major release a few weeks ago, and I just got a client who
wanted a Perl-Tk session added to classes they were buying from me
(think "Large Data Warehouse Company" who wants to automate their
trouble alert systems with easy-to-build GUIs).

Geoff> However, more important to the original poster, Tk was intended to
Geoff> support menus, dialogue boxes, & other GUI stuff. I see from my copy of
Geoff> _Advanced Perl Programming_ that one can create a Tetris game with
Geoff> Perl/Tk, but for other graphical applications it probably isn't a
Geoff> wise choice.

Actually, Perl/Tk is quite fast - I just finished a real-time graphics
scrolling loadav display, and was amazed to find out that it draws all
the line segments from scratch each time.

But no, I'd not want to write Quake using Perl/Tk. :)