[PLUG] Linux KVM problem

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Apr 6 13:21:02 UTC 2004

Dave Scott wrote:

> Twas wondering if any of you have ever experianced this issue with
> Belkin KVM?
>
> The problem is when you switch back and forth, when you get to a X
> session, the mouse behaves all erratic and goes crazy.  This can be
> fixed by switching between X sessions (ctl-alt-f8, then ctl-alt-f7)
> but this is annoying at best. Does anyone know of a better KVM switch
> that fixes this problem or is this just a linux driver issue.    I've
> used both Microsoft mice and Logitech 3 buttom wheel mice.

I've had this problem with some cheapo 2 port KVMs, Belkin OmniPro 4
ports, 8 ports and 16 port switches. I've seen the problem with Linux,
Windows, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, Tru64, and FreeBSD.

In short, this is not usually a driver issue.

What I have been told by folks at Belkin, and a couple of Electronic
Engineers, is that it's a clock mismatch issue.

Basically, there is a clock in the mouse, on each motherboard, and in
the KVM. When they get out of sync, the mouse behaves erratically.

My fix in the past has been to unplug/replug the mouse in the KVM. This
causes the mouse to "reboot" and the clock syncs up.

I'm sure there is a more technical explaination, and I'm simply
repeating what I have been told.

If any of it is in error, I'd love to hear a better explaination.

Russ