[PLUG] Linux KVM problem

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Tue Apr 6 16:49:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Dave Scott wrote:
> My second question would be, how can we fix this issue, what part of
> GNU/Linux would we have to fix to get this to work.  I must point out
> that this never happens when switching back to a microsoft desktop, so I
> know it's got to be something that we can fix, just probably isn't that
> important at the moment.

If I had to guess, I would say that the switch was to blame rather than
the kernel or any mouse daemon.

I'm guessing here that your KVM switch doesn't properly emulate a
connected mouse and keyboard on the output ports when they are not
connected to the input ports.  The switch to another port is like plugging
in the mouse/keyboard again and that's causing problems.  That is to say,
the KVM vendor is breaking the protocol and expecting the system
hardware/software to take up the slack.

A proper KVM switch shouldn't cause those problems... that is to say, the
KVM switch should do absolutely nothing to the signal to or from the
systems to which it is attached.  The system shouldn't get anything
different than a directly connected mouse and keyboard.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net