[PLUG] Next steps in Bayian SpamAssassin installation

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Apr 8 09:49:02 UTC 2004

Paul Heinlein wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Russ Johnson wrote:
>

>>This brings up another question. When I set up a new rule to send
>>mail to a new file, I have to touch the file in my ~/mail/
>>directory, or the mail doesn't get put where I want it.
>>

>Odd. I've never had that problem. My .procmailrc, for example, begins
>this way:
>
>MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir
>LOGFILE=$HOME/pmlog-`/bin/date +%Y-%m`

Yeah, mine does this:

SHELL=/bin/sh
LINEBUF=4096
PATH=$HOME/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=${HOME}/Mail
VERBOSE=off
LOGFILE=${HOME}/procmail.log
FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail

I have logrotate rotate my logs weekly.

>>It seems to me that procmail should be able to create these files.
>>It changes to be me, as evidenced by the system log file.
>>

>You're right. It should. <lame-question>Do the permissions on the
>directories into which you're writing look OK?</lame-question>

drwxr-xr-x    2 russj    russj        9216 Apr  8 09:44 Mail/

Procmail seems to have no trouble writing to the files once they exist.
It just can't create them if they don't exist.

Russ