[PLUG] OT: Top post trolling.

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Thu Apr 8 10:46:02 UTC 2004

Michael H. Collins wrote:

> I generally let the content dictate where I reply.  Situational as it
> were.  I have seen convincing reasons for top, bottom and inline.  To
> me it is like vi vs emacs.  I especially hate a 5000 word email with
> one sentence at the bottom.  If it were at the top I could read it and
> delete it.  But that said what I really disagree with is people that
> try to dictate how things should be because that is how they were
> taught. If people didn't do things differently what a dull world this
> would be.

You're example of a 5000 word email with a single sentence is also
breaking netiquette, because the responder doesn't pare down the
original content to the relevant context.

I actually usually reply inline, but even that is more like bottom
posting, since you reply inline beneath the paragraph you are responding
to.

The exception to this being when one makes an openning statement, prior
to the reply. That could be above the original content, but doesn't have
to be.

Russ