[PLUG] Attachments not received

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Apr 9 15:21:02 UTC 2004

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Chris Penwell wrote:
>
>> 	Well, no, Winblows uses the file extension to associate which
>> program should be used to open it. Now without getting into the pros
>> and
>> cons of this "feature", You shouldn't have any problems renaming the
>> file in
>> order to attach it. However, in order for them to view it they will
>> have to
>> rename it back.. As I mentioned earlier, it's just one more thing to
>> do..
>
>   So, what's an inocuous file extension that won't cause the MUA-cop
> to shut
> down viewing? How about no extension at all?
>
> Rich

Again, I'll repeat there is a setting in exchange to Scan ALL
attachments regardless of extension.  Our exchange server does just
that at my work.  We have tried to go around it and it will scan the
attachments regardless of what we named them and it remove files that
we need sent to co-workers.  It even tries to unzip all files
regardless of extension.  The file may still never make it to the
user.

Unless you have the person running the exchange server agree not to
scan your particular file type they will most likely now scan
everything.  Too many viruses not to do just that.

I'd suggest that you work out the ftp anonymous mode or ask your
client where you could upload the files.  Many have an anonymous ftp
server available.

Josh