[PLUG] (no subject)

ckenshol at comcast.net ckenshol at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 16:27:02 UTC 2004

Yes, I know, it's mandrake.  But I'm taking a Linux Install and Admin class and the proff required Redhat to be installed.  The Redhat 7.3 didn't work so well with iptables and email and everything.

So I decided to download and try Mandrake 10.0.  I have used 9.0 in the past and it was ok.

But 10.0 hurts... my head... bad.

I went through the typical server install and loaded it up.  Gnome wouldn't load, not even an option, IceWM is all that will load.

Then the hostname somehow got screwed up.  /etc/hosts looks fine, but the hostname for all intents and purposes ended up something weird like x1-6-00-20-78-0d something or other.  Mail, FTP, HTTP, anything that needs to resolve just doesn't work.

This was not worth the 4 hours and 3 CDs to burn.  Yes I know it's a new release and not to expect much, but I didn't expect it to be that broke.

Anyone else tried "Community"?  What are your thoughts?