[PLUG] (no subject)

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Sun Apr 11 16:44:02 UTC 2004

ckenshol at comcast.net wrote:

>Yes, I know, it's mandrake.  But I'm taking a Linux Install and Admin class and the proff required Redhat to be installed.  The Redhat 7.3 didn't work so well with iptables and email and everything.
>
>So I decided to download and try Mandrake 10.0.  I have used 9.0 in the past and it was ok.
>
>But 10.0 hurts... my head... bad.
>
>I went through the typical server install and loaded it up.  Gnome wouldn't load, not even an option, IceWM is all that will load.
>
>Then the hostname somehow got screwed up.  /etc/hosts looks fine, but the hostname for all intents and purposes ended up something weird like x1-6-00-20-78-0d something or other.  Mail, FTP, HTTP, anything that needs to resolve just doesn't work.

Maybe it's an ipv6 address and you need an ipv4 one.

>This was not worth the 4 hours and 3 CDs to burn.  Yes I know it's a new release and not to expect much, but I didn't expect it to be that broke.
>
>Anyone else tried "Community"?  What are your thoughts?

Debian or gnoppix, but I've never successfully set one of these Linux
distros
up myself.  I hear that the latest Slackware is quite nice.

First off, why are you trying to send to 10.0 at robinson-west.com and
Impressions at robinson-west.com?  These accounts don't exist.

Redhat 7.3 upgraded with a few things like the kernel replaced
from sources outside of Redhat works well enough.  It's starting
to look like only a confirmation system will work to shut down
spam ( especially drug ads ), but in order for that to work I need
to modify it to work with email lists like this one.  Even with
spamassassin and Mailfilter, I'm not affective enough.  Email
senders need to be identified, this is the only way I can think
of to scare off spammers.   Noone wants to be caught in the
act.