[PLUG] Data recovery service?

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Sun Apr 11 22:52:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:15:50PM -0700, John Meissen wrote:

> I have a friend who (like most people) wasn't doing adequate backups on
> his Windows system. His IBM Deathstar drive suddenly died yesterday, and
> he needs to try to recover whatever can be saved from it. I spent a good
> part of the day playing with it, but only managed to copy off one or two
> files. So we need to find a professional recovery service. Does anyone
> have a recommendation for such a place in the Portland area, preferably
> on the West side?

I don't know about places in the Portland area, but I had good luck
with DTI Data http://www.dtidata.com/
I sent them a laptop hard drive that died and they recovered
all the data from it for about half the price I was quoted from
other services.

My other recommendation is to give the drive a days rest and try
it again. Others have had good luck putting the drive in the
freezer for a while. Just be prepared if it does come back
alive to immediately get the important data off first.

Bill Barry