[PLUG] WiFi set up pointers needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Apr 13 19:54:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Michael H. Collins wrote:

> This was Gentoo, right?

  Er, no. I'm running Slackware-9.1.

> Just hard compile all the pcmcia and wireless stuff into a 2.6.5 kernel.
> no file touching necessary, it should just work.  make sure you have the
> wireless tools installed.  Any card you have shoudl just work.  just do
> dhcpcd eth1 and walk and talk.

  I use the kernels provided by Emperor Linux on this box because they're
built for the hardware specifics. However, I did not buy the WiFi card from
them because I was able to purchase the same one for 60% less elsewhere.
E.L. is reluctant to provide me with the support to make the card run.
Impasse.

  The tools seem to be there. But, I don't know how to configure wlan.
What's a MIB, WEP and the other acronyms? How do I answer config file
questions when I've no idea what it is I should want?

  A step-by-step, cookbook approach is what I want now. I've too many things
going on (my book's going to be late to the publisher and I do have to make
money in between all the fun things) so I don't have the interest in
spending a day or two futzing with getting the card and notebook talking
WiFi.

Thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)