[PLUG] WiFi set up pointers neede

pnelson pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Wed Apr 14 08:49:12 UTC 2004

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >   The tools seem to be there. But, I don't know how to configure
> > wlan. What's a MIB, WEP and the other acronyms? How do I answer
> > config file questions when I've no idea what it is I should want?
>
> Try the iwconfig(8) man page.

I have my Netgear WG511T card working with the atheros driver connecting
to the Netgear 802.11g AP. As long as I leave WEP off it connects and
gets an IP address. I've tried adding the WEP key via the wirless
configuration gui tool (supplied with Fedora Core 2) and then it won't
get an IP. Using the same key in XP does work so I know the AP is
working and the key is ok.

It's this last step that has me pulling my hair out. Pointers? We have
26 IBM ThinkPads that are about to become a new wireless Linux mobile
lab as soon as I get this figured out.

;-) Paul

Paul Nelson.............................. pnelson at riverdale.k12.or.us
Riverdale High...........9727 SW Terwilliger Blvd. Portland, OR 97219
(503)892-0722......fax(503)892-0723.... http://hs.riverdale.k12.or.us