[PLUG] WiFi set up pointers needed

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Wed Apr 14 09:19:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 07:03, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Here's where it gets interesting. According to one site, the 3CRWE154G72
> card uses the Prism GT chipset (found on a Prism54 driver Web page). Details
> provided include the type as 'cardbus', the subsystem ID and vendor device
> both as 10b7:6001, the default PCI ID as 1260:3890 and the chipset as
> 'ISL3890'. The only driver I can find there is a patch for the 2.4.25
> kernel; I run the 2.4.24 kernel.
>
>   On another Web site, the ISL 3890 chip set is associated with the Prism
> Duette chip set rather than the GT flavor. This site (from Rutgers U.) has
> not been updated since last September. It has a driver identified only by
> version number. The latest is 1.0.4.3.
>
>   When I search the system for a prism2_cs module, one shows up for both the
> 2.4.20 and 2.4.22 kernels, but none for the 2.4.24 kernel.

I think you should try to install the hostap drivers
(http://hostap.epitest.fi/), they will use your kernel headers to make a
module for your specific kernel.  The documentation is pretty good and
compiling the modules is fairly straight forward.  They are also much
more flexible than the orinoco drivers.  Hostap supports almost all of
the wireless extensions and with these drivers, you can also turn your
laptop into an access point.

I also don't know how Slackware configures the network interfaces, but
for the initial testing, I recommend using a static IP address, that way
you don't have to wait around for the DHCP to time out before the
interface comes up.

You should also look into wireless sniffing tools like Wellenrieter or
Kismet, both support the prism chipset, but Wellenrieter seems to run
better with the hostap drivers.  Wavelan is the best tool I've seen for
console monitoring of the wireless signal.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree