[PLUG] Linux Wifi Clinic?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 14 10:29:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I propose that we set up a one-time all-day event, perhaps in conjunction
> with the Saturday linux clinic, or perhaps some other time or place, where
> we can bring laptops and Wifi cards and access points and other gear and
> get it all properly set up and security tested.  If should be far enough
> in the future that (1) we can plan, and (2) attendees can make purchases,
> do their reading, and prepare their systems based on that plan.  Perhaps
> late June?  I'd like to get this done before vacation season and OSCON.

Keith,

  Excellent idea, but sooner rather than later.

> We may also want to talk about setting up Linux laptops for general
> secure road warrioring (modem/CAT5/Wifi).

  Yes! My Sony has built-in ethernet and modem; the first I know works but
I've not yet tested the latter.

> Does anyone consider themselves capable enough in Linux WiFi setup to help
> specify some prerequisites?  How many people are interested in
> participating as teachers/helpers/pupils/blackhats?

  I'll help as I can.

  The other aspect of this is that all data should be collected into a set
of postgres tables and made accessible through the PLUG Web site. There
should be a table for hardware, another for wireless card, another for
distribution/version, a fourth for kernel version and the last for driver.
In addition to this resource, we can write our collective knowlege up as a
HOWTO and post it on the Web site, too. With links to finding Portland area
public access points this would be a great resource to have available before
the ORA OSCOM once again descends on us.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>