[PLUG] Security Issues Monkeying with xinetd.conf?

B. Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Wed Apr 14 18:46:02 UTC 2004

Am I opening up a security hole by disabling the
  log_type = SYSLOG authpriv
line in RH 7.3's xinetd.conf file?

I had a problem with a WinXP machine in my shop taking a very long time to
initiate an FTP connection to my RH 7.3 Linux server, and using the
thousand monkeys/thousand keyboards approach I solved it by putting a '#'
character in front of the line in xinetd.conf mentioned above. I have no
idea why this works because I have no idea what XP's problem was in the
first place.

Ignoarance is bliss, but now I'm wondering if I've opened a path into the
dungeon dimensions on my FTP server.

Can anyone here tell me 1.) if I've done a stupid thing, and 2.) why was
it taking so long for XP to connect to my FTP server (my old Win98
machine had no such trouble.)?

TIA,
- Bill Thoen