[PLUG] Of Modules and Men

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sat Apr 17 12:07:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 10:41, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I'm curious about this: in /etc/modules.conf there is an alias:
> 	alias wlan0 prism2_cs.o
> but lsmod shows the driver as Prism54 and ifconfig -a (or iwconfig) shows
> the interface as eth1. Why the discrepancies?

The alias was probably inserted when your system was installed.  It
doesn't look like a discrepancy to me, if you want the Prism54 interface
to show up as wlan0, change that line to match the driver that is
actually loading.

>   On a similar note, now that I resolved the problem(s) making and
> installing hostap_cs.o, is there a relatively simple way to swap between the
> two interfaces?

The only thing I can think of is to write a couple of scripts that will
bring down the interface, unload its module, load the other module and
then bring up the interface.

>  Might there be advantages in doing so?

Only if you find that each interface does something the other doesn't.
>From my experience, the hostap drivers are more stable, more versatile
and better supported than the kernel drivers.  Unless you want to use
Kismet for access point discovery, that is the only program that I have
run across that uses the prism2 drivers and not the hostap drivers,
though the developers are working on hostap support.  BTW, Wellenrieter
does a great job with the hostap drivers.

Have fun WAR driving!

Derek Loree