[PLUG] Debian lost NIC

Steven Raymond stever at woo-hoo.com
Sun Apr 18 12:10:03 UTC 2004

> But it should be easy.
>
> Run modconf and go down to drivers/net and see if you can't find your
> NIC on the list there.  If you don't know which module to use, ask or
> hit google.

No modconf installed, apparently:

spectre:/var/log# locate modconf
/usr/share/vim/vim62/syntax/modconf.vim
spectre:/var/log#

I would love to apt-get modconf, it the NIC worked! ;)  Is it possible to
ftp the .deb or whatever it comes in and put it onto my jumpdrive, and
install it from there?  Do I then use dpkg instead of apt-get install?

> You'll want to make sure that the eth0 section in
> /etc/network/interfaces is correct.  It has nothing to do with hardware,
> of course, but it will tell you if the interface will be configured
> correctly when it does, eventually, come up.

Nothing there, either:

spectre:/var/log# cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This entry was created during the Debian installation
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
spectre:/var/log#

Did I mention that it detects and enables the NIC just fine on the first
install/boot up, but then for whatever reason seems to lose the drivers
upon rebooting?   I believe it is the same problem for my sound card,
rather than a general permission issue as I previously speculated.

Thanks!