[PLUG] Real-life hardware comparison.

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Sun Apr 18 14:16:02 UTC 2004

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Elliott Mitchell wrote:
> The two crucial points have been brought up. What speed P3s will that
> board support? Unless you've got something designed to work in a
> multi-processor environment the single faster processor is likely
> better.

We're talking about my desktop machine here.  Very few of us are doing
intense numerical analysis all day every day with non-threaded software.

A modern desktop machine runs a dozen or two programs simultaneously.
Whether the individual applications are threaded or not, I would think
you're getting much better performance from a multi-processor system.

> I feel the first question is the big issue. Intel changed the pin
> assignments near when the P3 hit 1GHz creating an electrical
> incompatibility, but not a physical one (socket was the same, but the
> newer processors would no longer work with older boards). Before you
> make the decision check the exact model number and revision of your
> board, what is the fastest processor it will support? If it can only
> handle processors up to 800MHz...

Of course.  The motherboard I have claims to carry a "universal Socket
370" that supports FCPGA/FCPGA2.  I'm thinking this covers the fastest
S370 processors available.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin