[PLUG] Working with NTFS...

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Apr 19 13:21:01 UTC 2004

Aaron Ten Clay wrote:

> [...]
Why use NTFS if you can't perform backup and restoration using
3rd party utilities?  Is any netbooted system that allows the creation
of NTFS partitions to whatever size is desired and restoration
of any partition to them of any other size that isn't larger available
without a costly license?

It would make more sense if Microsoft shucked NTFS and went
with ext3 or Reiserfs, at least then you'd be able to back
up your Windows system using Linux.  Microsoft dos client 3 is
so out of date and it won't help with NTFS anyways.  The current
Intel products don't offer NDIS drivers for some of the intrgrated
nics anyways it seems.  The other concern I have with Dell is
that their Windows installation may not be stock, I may not be
able to go out and buy a copy of XP PRO if I want it and
have it install successfully.  Microsoft doesn't seem to want
people backing up OEM systems and buying Windows upgrades.

Hopefully I just won't need XP and won't have to worry about it.
Windows 2000 is another story though.  My brother set up a
computer for our dad thinking it would be better than 98, but it
uses NTFS too.  Seems like I can't get everyone completely
out of Windows fast enough considering data integrity
problems working with NTFS.

I would argue that NTFS makes Windows less stable because it's
proprietary.  Any system that doesn't back up is hardly worth
having.

     --  Michael C. Robinson