[PLUG] certification???

Michael Robinson plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Apr 19 14:50:02 UTC 2004

Brian Quade wrote:

> I usually don't have much faith in certifications, especially
> technology ones.  But I have been thinking about a Linux certification
> to put on my resume as a way of helping me find some freelance work,
> installation, sys admin, etc.  I know of Red Hat, CompTIA, and LPI
> certifications.  Red Hat focuses on their distributions and products
> and they are really expensive.  Does anyone have any experience with
> the others, or have any suggestions about getting certified?

How about LPI, Linux Professional Institute Certification?  I have some
materials
from IBM for an LPI certification on my web.site at
http://www.robinson-west.com
under Michael.

I have a book my brother got me a couple of years ago, but it is too old
and 2000
didn't seem to be the greatest time to certify.  I would imagine that
things have
gotten better lately.  It's not an end all solution, I'd want to be able
to build my
own Linux system from scratch and research organization methods for library
upgrades and such.  That requires a bit of programming skill.

     --  Michael C. Robinson