[PLUG] MythTV on the small and cheap.

Sasha Romanosky sasha_romanosky at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 18:41:01 UTC 2004

I'm not an expert on all the codecs and what they can and cannot do.

However, a P3/450 with a card that does mpeg encoding should be fine.
The key there, of course, is the card that does the encoding for you.
The hauppauge 250 cards seem to be the most popular. They're $150 at
fry's last time I checked.

Join and read the mythtv lists, you'll find lots of (and probably too
much) information.

Mythtv has many modules, including one that can play DVDs. Actually, all
it really does is launch a real player (like mplayer) with command line
options. Nevertheless, having those modules integrated to mythtv results
in a single application that does it all.

Good luck,

sasha