[PLUG] how to find out where my new SATA drive is

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Tue Apr 20 09:12:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:10:08AM -0700, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> I've just added a new SATA drive to my existing FC1 system.
> (2.4.22-1.2166.nptl kernel)
>
> I'd like to initialize the drive, but I have no idea where it is in the
> device system.
>
> Where did my OS stash this information?

As other have said dmesg is a good place to start.
Also /proc/partitions should have this information.

In /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt
there is a useful list of info contained in /proc
The list is short, so I will reproduce it here.

Table 1-3: Kernel info in /proc
 File        Content
 apm         Advanced power management info
 buddyinfo   Kernel memory allocator information (see text)     (2.5)
 bus         Directory containing bus specific information
 cmdline     Kernel command line
 cpuinfo     Info about the CPU
 devices     Available devices (block and character)
 dma         Used DMS channels
 filesystems Supported filesystems
 driver      Various drivers grouped here, currently rtc        (2.4)
 execdomains Execdomains, related to security                   (2.4)
 fb          Frame Buffer devices                               (2.4)
 fs          File system parameters, currently nfs/exports      (2.4)
 ide         Directory containing info about the IDE subsystem
 interrupts  Interrupt usage
 iomem       Memory map                                         (2.4)
 ioports     I/O port usage
 irq         Masks for irq to cpu affinity                      (2.4)(smp?)
 isapnp      ISA PnP (Plug&Play) Info                           (2.4)
 kcore       Kernel core image (can be ELF or A.OUT(deprecated in 2.4))
 kmsg        Kernel messages
 ksyms       Kernel symbol table
 loadavg     Load average of last 1, 5 & 15 minutes
 locks       Kernel locks
 meminfo     Memory info
 misc        Miscellaneous
 modules     List of loaded modules
 mounts      Mounted filesystems
 net         Networking info (see text)
 partitions  Table of partitions known to the system
 pci         Depreciated info of PCI bus (new way -> /proc/bus/pci/,
             decoupled by lspci                                 (2.4)
 rtc         Real time clock
 scsi        SCSI info (see text)
 slabinfo    Slab pool info
 stat        Overall statistics
 swaps       Swap space utilization
 sys         See chapter 2
 sysvipc     Info of SysVIPC Resources (msg, sem, shm)          (2.4)
 tty         Info of tty drivers
 uptime      System uptime
 version     Kernel version
 video       bttv info of video resources                       (2.4)

Bill Barry