[PLUG] MythTV on the small and cheap.

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Tue Apr 20 12:05:03 UTC 2004

> From: Jeme A Brelin <jeme at brelin.net>
> I've been using my PC and its TVOut stuff to feed my television DVD and
> DiVX ;-) videos for quite some time.  But now the TV is kind of dying and
> I'm seriously considering just using a big old monitor instead of a
> television.  The only trick is the VCR.  I still want access to the tapes.
> So I will need TV-in so I can watch VHS on the computer (as well as
> digitize analog input, which is cool).

Being able to convert them is useful, but do you actually need to do so?
You can get a box to convert S-Video to VGA signals for about $100. There
is one from ViewSonic, the "NexVision". AVerMedia makes the "AVerTV Box".
This allows you to use the monitor as a TV, and if that is the only
requirement such a box might be simplest.