[PLUG] how to find out where my new SATA drive is

Dave Clemans dgc at easystreet.com
Tue Apr 20 13:34:01 UTC 2004

Mike De La Mater wrote:
> I've just added a new SATA drive to my existing FC1 system.
> (2.4.22-1.2166.nptl kernel)
>
> I'd like to initialize the drive, but I have no idea where it is in the
> device system.
>
> Where did my OS stash this information?

Just to be complete, is the driver for your SATA drive loaded?

On my system (an A7N8X motherboard), the "siimage" module has to be
to use SATA drives.  I'm currently using a 2.6 kernel, but if I
remember correctly the driver for the 2.4 kernel was also siimage.
(The module is derived from the name of the manufacturer of the
SATA chipset used by the a7n8x.)

With the driver loaded, it shows up as /dev/hd*.

dgc