[PLUG] Laptop search...

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Tue Apr 20 16:35:03 UTC 2004

Quoth Michael Rasmussen, on Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:40:23 -0800:

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:55:25AM -0800, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > > I can probably get a Dell fairly reasonably, but if they have

I have a Dell 5100 running Gentoo.  It's been okay, but I've always had
trouble getting good power management, which is probably a major hurdle
with laptop Linux in general.  Lately I recompiled my kernel, and now if
I leave my lid closed for long enough, the machine shuts off.  Maybe
it's overheating (2.66 GHz), but also, if I close the lid and then
disconnect the power adapter, the monitor's backlight won't come on
again, and I must reboot.

I'm using kernel 2.4.22 with ACPI (not APM), and I've tried 2.6.4, but
it's still really quirky.  I have the latest BIOS firmware, but I don't
think it's quite right still.

But I wouldn't know if this is just Dell or all laptops trying to run
Linux.  (I have XP on this machine as well, and it pains me to see all
the cool power management features, video output features, etc., that my
laptop sports, but which Linux does not yet support.)

--Jason

--
I think that if we were to go to the other side of outer space, we would
find that we are on display in the window of some shop, like a snowglobe