[PLUG] Misc computer hardware, book donation

Ron Braithwaite ron at nutriware.com
Tue Apr 20 17:04:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-20 at 15:32, Andy Davidson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:46:49PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >
> >   Last time I looked, they charged a fee ($10, I believe) only for monitors.
> > They recycle the computers by giving them to people who otherwise would not
> > have one. With linux as the OS. The recipient puts in the equivalent of
> > sweat equity to earn a box.
>
> They charge for computers older than a Pentium.  And they are
> recycled, I think, not given to users.

We do NOT charge for computers older than a Pentium. We do NOT charge to
recycle anything except monitors and then only because we have to pay to
have them recycled in an environmentally sound manner.

After all, that's why we are called FREE GEEK.

As per the 486, yes, we would recycle that since our current Freek Boxen
are in the 266-300 MHz range. You can still run ucLinux on the 486 (and
with the 2.6 kernel, non-MMU funcationality is rolled in, but its not
quite soup yet).

So I applaud Sasha's desire to see it reused rather than recycled. It's
certainly in the spirit of Free Geek.

Peace,
-Ron
--