[PLUG] Reasonably-priced SCSI Drives?

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Tue Apr 20 17:55:03 UTC 2004

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Paul Mullen pem-at-nellump.net |PDX Linux| wrote:

> Where do you shop for reasonably-priced SCSI hard disk drives? By
> reasonably-priced, I mean something that's at least close to competitive
> with run-of-the-mill IDE drives. I realize that there's a price to pay
> for SCSI's performance advantages, but I have had a difficult time
> finding any SCSI drives that are less than 10k RPM. The prices (again,
> relative to IDE) are exorbitant, and the capacities are usually less,
> too.

Unless you go used, there's no touching the price/capacity of ATA drives
right now.  SCSI is less about performance and more about reliability, in
my opinion.

With software RAID (mirroring) it's cheaper to get 2 ATA drives and throw
one out every year than to get SCSI drives.  (Plus you get more capacity.)
Since the drives are redundant, you can be less concerned about how
fragile they are.  ;-)

> Is there such a thing as a SCSI HDD that approaches $1/GB, or am I
> better off buying an ATA controller and a cheap IDE drive?

Used SCSI drives using server-style SCA connectors can be had for $1/GB.

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/h_hd_ST446442W.html

However, the SCA-to-normal adapters add about $10/ea to the drives.

  -- Steve